(Part-Time, 8 month Contract)
Position: Science Facilitator Core Part-Time
Reports to: Managers, Visitor Experience
Science World British Columbia is a charitable organization that engages British Columbians in science and inspires future science and technology leadership throughout our province.
Under the direction of the Managers, Visitor Experience, you will provide a range of services and educational programs at TELUS World of Science and in the community. Responsibilities include daily customer service, processing admission payments, activity facilitation, presentations, gallery interactions, outdoor park facilitation and the implementation of safety and security procedures. You will model a positive, solution-focused approach in your daily work and work as an engaged and collaborative team player across all functional departments. In this dynamic role, you will also interact with and support the success of visiting scientists and guest presenters.
Important Availability Commitment:
As an organization that serves the public seven days per week for the majority of the year, it is critical that our talented Science Facilitators be part of our daily service weekdays and weekends. With that, our team members are required to work regular weekly shifts and maintain an availability of 24 – 32 hours per week, seven days a week.
This is a part time 8-month contract position with an expected start date of June 24, 2017.
- Guaranteed at least 24 hours per week
- Regular part-time schedule
- Training opportunities to learn various shows and programs including: Iron Scientist, daytime On The Road, Children’s Hospital
- Provide our visitors with a friendly, fun, awesome, wow and memorable experience
- Positively influence attitudes towards science and technology through science shows, demonstrations and exhibit interpretation
- Perform proficient operation of our ticketing and registration system (Advance Ticket Management System) with the processing and receipt of entrance fees for all admissions, memberships and events, etc. in person, over the phone and by email
- Ensure a safe, clean, secure environment for our customers
- Ensure that galleries are well maintained and operational and provide feedback on customer interaction
- Assist in the smooth operation of all visitor experiences including hosting OMNIMAX® and Science Theatre shows
- Facilitate and support delivery of shows, demonstrations, school workshops and programs such as Iron Scientist, Pre-School Curiosity Club and Super Science Club
- Plan, organize and facilitate make-and-take activities
- Participate in the facilitation of community outreach programs outside of TELUS World of Science
- Participate in the facilitation of special events (e.g. Camp-Ins, Science World After Dark)
- Support daily maintenance of the outdoor Science Park including chicken care and garden beds
- Provide general information services regarding Science World at TELUS World of Science
- Completion of university degree preferably in science or education or equivalent relevant experience
- Must be able to work a consistent weekly schedule, including weekends, holidays and evenings
- Experience using cash registers, ticket terminals, computerized sales systems, databases and Microsoft Office
- Experience in working with early learners and knowledgeable in child development is an asset
- Must be an engaged, responsive and respectful team player capable of working in a dynamic team environment
- Proven ability to speak and perform before audiences of varying size and composition.
- Experienced in meeting and exceeding customer needs and expectations in the service industry
- Experienced with leadership roles
- Required to work outside in all weather conditions
- Must be able to lift at least 10 kg
- Bi-lingual an asset
- All offers are subject to satisfactory completion of reference and police criminal record checks -
Please apply by Wednesday, May 24, 2017
* We would like to thank all candidates. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. *